Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Ashley Zizich
Senior Seminar
Dr. Wielgos
Response 1
August 29, 2017
           
            While reading the assigned articles, I took notice of several I could agree with. While I could connect with some of the articles, the others left me wondering if there was a broader point I was missing. It was clear that the articles dealt with how English Literature courses either should be taught in a different manner, or to what basis is English Literature taught and if it works for the departments aim. It was difficult at times for me to understand different aspects of how to teach the subject were outlined possibly because I am not on an education track with my degree, although many of the points made sense at some aspect.
            Hart’s article The College Course in English Literature, I found a majority of his thoughts resonated with me, and an equal amount I did not agree with. Having taken a rhetoric course last semester, I found that the material was so formal, and I had little connection with rhetoric in my writing. While I do find rhetoric important, I agree with Hart that there is more connection with literature (85). When I read an author, I am always interested in his/her influences and what their aim in writing is. Hart states the same, that rhetoric does not help you better understand the influences behind the piece. I found it difficult that when he spoke of how he believes learning works such as Beowulf may not necessarily be important because the prose is “archaic” and “difficult”. If I was not taught this poem in a way that held my interest, and at first learned that the poem was one of the first written pieces after oral tradition, I may not have been as interested. My point is, that it depends on the professor who is teaching the piece. I found Beowulf was taught in an engaging way after learning the history behind the poem. I believe if a literary work that has been so celebrated no matter the difficulty or genre, it is worth teaching.  This is especially true of Shakespeare. It seemed Hart did not necessarily think Shakespeare should be introduced at earlier levels, but did not disclose at what point Shakespeare should be taught. The subject of introducing works before students may be able to comprehend them is touched upon in Brandt’s article. He says it is an “injustice” to introduce certain things before students can fully comprehend. I agree to an extent. Obviously, a high school student may not comprehend Beowulf to the extent that a college student may. Although I don’t think either author takes into consideration how the pieces may be taught. For example, I was introduced to Shakespeare early in high school with Romeo and Juliet. Having taken several Shakespeare courses in college, I can look back and say that Romeo and Juliet is a play that is easier to understand than say, King Lear, given certain context. Again, I believe the material is all in the way it is taught. There could be different approaches to the text that may make it easier to understand.
            Ohmann looks at how different people may respond to different works. He uses the example of the different students and their understanding and grasp of Macbeth. While it is true that different students learn in different ways, he makes a good point when later he poses the question of “why the work of lawyers does not always make for justice?” (5). I saw this as the answer simply being that people may criticize works in different manners. This leads to Hunt’s article The Place of English in the College Curriculum, and his argument that English studies is often marked as inferior. I liked his appeal to get English requirements started at an earlier point in a person’s academic career. Obviously, an elementary student is not going to fully understand and comprehend Shakespeare’s works, but at least an introduction to Shakespeare himself and why his works are important can help gain a better understanding for later learning.

            Although I am not on the education track, I do have children in elementary school, and I often wonder what direction learning English and Literature will afford them in their academic careers. Of course I have fostered their love of books and writing at an early age, but when it comes to comprehension is where it gets difficult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Bibliography

ardner, Janet E. Writing about Literature: A Portable Guide. Boston: Bedford/St. Martins, 2009. Print. Pope, Rob. Studying English Literat...